LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – May 3, 2014
The Thomas J. Churchill Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) dedicated an historic marker to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the end of The Camden Expedition of 1864.
On May 3, 1864, US troops, under the command of General Frederick Steele, returned to Little Rock. CSA cavalry units, led by General Sterling Price, called off their pursuit of Steele’s forces and supply train after a decisive battle at Jenkin’s Ferry three days prior, terminating the month-long engagement that had been the northern leg of the Red River Campaign.
Members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) were in attendance at the marker presentation last weekend in Little Rock. Pictured, left-to-right, are: Mrs. Kay Tatum, President of the Thomas J. Churchill Chapter of the UDC; Commander Robert Edwards of the Arkansas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans; Chaplain Joe May, Shaver SCV Camp; Commander Ray Jones, past commander Arkansas Division of the SCV; Commander Danny Honnoll, Chief of Staff, SCV; Commander Mike Loum, Robert C. Newton SCV Camp; and Vernon Dutton, Robert C. Newton SCV Camp.
More photos of the dedication – including the Sword Ceremony and Flag Ceremony – are available on the Civil War Reflections Facebook Page.