A NOVEL OF TRAVEL BACK IN TIME
I began by stating that I hadn’t really understood what initially started the War. My home state, Arkansas, entered the Confederacy after Lincoln had called for an allotment of troops to put down the Rebellion.
I was hoping this was true of the present Universe’s history, which would correspond to my old Universe’s Civil War History. She nodded and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Then she began a description of the historical events:
- South Carolina forces fired on Ft. Sumter in April, 1861.
- The Confederacy was formed in Montgomery, Alabama, with South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas seceding from the Union.
- When Lincoln demanded troops to put down the Rebellion, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and Delaware also seceded.
- Delaware was quickly brought under the thumb of the Federals when Union General McDowell’s Army attacked a small Delaware Militia force at Newark, DE and defeated them in June of 1861. Delaware was quickly occupied by Federal forces and put under the auspices of the Union Military.
- Jefferson Davis moved the Confederacy Capital to Atlanta in May of 1861, due to the rail connections and centralized location.
- The Yanks began building up McDowell’s army around Washington, DC while the Rebs formed an army around Richmond under General Joe Johnston and another small army under Thomas Jackson in the Shenandoah Valley.
- Yanks occupy Northern Virginia from the Potomac River, near Washington, southwest to Centerville, VA. Confederate General Johnston moves his army up to the south bank of the Occoquah River near Manassas Junction.
- In early August 1861, the Federal Army moves forward to attack General Johnston’s Army. Johnston retreats inducing the Yankee Army to follow him and thus outpace their supply and ammunition trains. He retreats to Warrenton, VA; calls upon General Jackson to reinforce him; and with their combined forces, they bestow a complete defeat on the Yanks, sending them streaming back to their home base at Fairfield, VA.
- McDowell is removed by Lincoln, and McClellan is made the General-in-Chief of all Federal Forces. McClellan begins to build up an adequately equipped army in and around Washington and Northern Virginia.
- Lincoln becomes more and more impatient with McClellan and demands action.
I tried to comprehend how the War of the Rebellion transpired in the East during 1861 in this Universe.